The highs and lows of the Silverstone 500

Posted on: June 13th, 2017 by Martin Plowman Racing

Silverstone, the home of British Motorsport was the venue for the latest round of the British GT Championship this weekend with Martin Plowman back behind the wheel of the #53 Nissan 370Z GT4. The Silverstone 500 is the Blue Ribband event on the British GT Calendar and the longest. It was a weekend of mixed fortunes with the car delivering blistering pace but being maxed by a reoccurring mechanical issue that prematurely ended the pairs weekend.

Qualifying for the 3 hour race was a made up of a combined time of both the Pro and Am drivers and as Plowman had been rapid throughout the Saturday, setting the fastest time in Free Practice 2, hopes were high. Plowman showed his class and did not disappoint by putting in an amazing lap to top the timesheet, placing the Nissan first in the GT4 category. With Taffinder putting in a much improved time, car #53 had a good base with which to race from on the Sunday.

Under warm cloudy skies, the Silverstone 500 got underway with Taffinder in control of the #53 Nissan 370Zs. Taffinder made a solid start with his times progressing during the session, so much so that the Am driver stayed out for a full 60-minute stint leaving car #53 in a strong position as the drivers swapped. The cruel world of motorsport reared its ugly head as Plowman left the pits as a warning light flashed up causing #53 to head immediately back to the pits. The RJN mechanics did a phenomenal job of changing the rear diff in a shade over 30 minutes and getting the Nissan back out on track with Taffinder behind the wheel.

Taffinder, the Birmingham-based businessman made the most of the track time and was building momentum until the mechanical gremlin reappeared causing him to pit with 55 minutes to go. The team worked wonders again to get the car back out as the drivers exchanged places for the last time. Plowman was on it as soon as his car rolled out of the pits and after a few laps of traffic, the Tamworth-based racer put in a blinding lap before the gremlin struck again, this time causing Plowman to park #53 with 42 mins left on the clock.

Martin Plowman commented, “This wasn’t the result we were looking for as this weekend had so much promise, the car has been fast all weekend so we had high hopes after being fastest in FP2 and in qualifying. The team gave it their all to get the car back out however we will regroup, investigate what caused the issues and we will come back stronger.”

Martin will be back in action on the 7th July as the British GT Championship heads over the channel to Spa-Francorchamps for its international round.

Leave a Reply